Welcome to AutoBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving

 
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Volkswagen RSS
Next:  Brake Failure?!?!  
Author Message
onyx




Joined: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 3



(Msg. 1) Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:55 am
Post subject: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving

About 2 months ago, I started having problems with my car dying. Over the last couple weeks, it has gotten a lot worse, and now today I can't even keep it going without it dying. Basically what is happening is right after I start the car, it dies immediately after turning over. I have to try starting it a bunch of times before it finally gets going. But once it gets going, it randomly dies anywhere from 10 seconds after it starts, to a couple minutes. As I said, today I can't even keep it going well enough to drive half a mile down the street without it continuously dying. Before going to a mechanic and spending a couple hundred just for them to try and find out what's wrong... I was wondering if anyone had any possible ideas of what it could be. My car is a 1997 Jetta GL 2.0 with an automatic transmission.

Oh I forgot to add this. Not even a month ago, i took my car in to have a premium tune-up thinking it would help the problem, which it didn't. So the spark plugs and wires have both recently been replaced, the fuel injection and filter have been cleaned, and whatever else they do at Pep Boys when you get the "platinum tune-up". The car also doesn't do anything note worth before dying while it's being driven. It doesn't sputter, lose power, or anything. It just dies as if i turned off the ignition.

 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
samstone

External


Since: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 352



(Msg. 2) Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:55 am
Post subject: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:32:54 GMT, onyx wrote:
>driven. It doesnít sputter, lose power, or anything. It just dies as
>if i turned off the ignition.
How many keys have been on the key ring you've been using?
if you have a heavy bunch of keys it wears out the switch.
Have you checked for spark when it doesn't start?
Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key?

 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
onyx




Joined: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 3



(Msg. 3) Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:12 pm
Post subject: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]

samstone wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:32:54 GMT, onyx <none.RemoveThis@000.com> wrote:
>driven. It doesnít sputter, lose power, or anything. It just dies as
>if i turned off the ignition.
How many keys have been on the key ring you've been using?
if you have a heavy bunch of keys it wears out the switch.
Have you checked for spark when it doesn't start?
Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key?


Not many keys at all. I only have my car, house, building, office, and safety deposit box keys, and a bottle opener and a PetCo Pals card. I was thinking it might be the ignition switch though, because my Jetta has 88k miles on it, and I have heard a lot of stories about Jetta's around my year's having problems with the ignition switches around that many miles.

As far as checking for spark or listening for the fuel pump... I have no clue how I would check for that. I don't know too much about cars. Just enough to get me by. I'll ask my co-worker to check it out today though.
 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
dave AKA vwdoc1

External


Since: Nov 26, 2006
Posts: 726



(Msg. 4) Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:55 am
Post subject: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Check out the spark and make sure it is a GOOD spark, not just a spark but a
GOOD spark. Or after it stalls and won't restart..............pull a spark
plug to see if it is wet and black.
I have changed sooooo many bad ign. coils in the Jetta 2.0s.
DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET IGN. COILS, only get them from the dealer. You pay
more but they don't conk out after 1 week to 1 year. I have never seen an
aftermarket ign. coil go past 1 year. Sad

Of course it could be something else.
Did you get the Engine Check light?

Oh and when you find the problem you might want to install the correct spark
plugs or at least check them to make sure they are the right ones. I just
removed some Bosch Plats that were creating misfires and running issues on a
'97 Jetta 2.0.
--
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"onyx" wrote in message

> About 2 months ago, I started having problems with my car dying. Over
> the last couple weeks, it has gotten a lot worse, and now today I
> can't even keep it going without it dying. Basically what is happening
> is right after I start the car, it dies immediately after turning
> over. I have to try starting it a bunch of times before it finally
> gets going. But once it gets going, it randomly dies anywhere from 10
> seconds after it starts, to a couple minutes. As I said, today I can't
> even keep it going well enough to drive half a mile down the street
> without it continuously dying. Before going to a mechanic and spending
> a couple hundred just for them to try and find out what's wrong... I
> was wondering if anyone had any possible ideas of what it could be. My
> car is a 1997 Jetta GL 2.0 with an automatic transmission.
>
> Oh I forgot to add this. Not even a month ago, i took my car in to
> have a premium tune-up thinking it would help the problem, which it
> didn't. So the spark plugs and wires have both recently been replaced,
> the fuel injection and filter have been cleaned, and whatever else
> they do at Pep Boys when you get the "platinum tune-up". The car
> also doesn't do anything note worth before dying while it's being
> driven. It doesn't sputter, lose power, or anything. It just dies as
> if i turned off the ignition.
 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
onyx




Joined: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 3



(Msg. 5) Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:07 am
Post subject: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
Check out the spark and make sure it is a GOOD spark, not just a spark but a
GOOD spark. Or after it stalls and won't restart..............pull a spark
plug to see if it is wet and black.
I have changed sooooo many bad ign. coils in the Jetta 2.0s.
DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET IGN. COILS, only get them from the dealer. You pay
more but they don't conk out after 1 week to 1 year. I have never seen an
aftermarket ign. coil go past 1 year. Sad

Of course it could be something else.
Did you get the Engine Check light?

Oh and when you find the problem you might want to install the correct spark
plugs or at least check them to make sure they are the right ones. I just
removed some Bosch Plats that were creating misfires and running issues on a
'97 Jetta 2.0.


The check engine light isn't on, nor does it come on when it dies. When I got my tune-up, they did but in the Bosch Plats. They've been in not even a month. Should I replace them?

The reason I was thinking it was the ignition switch, is because when I start the car, if I hold the key forward a little bit, it will stay on, but when the key goes to the rest position, it shuts off. And when i finally can get it started and let go of the key, if I barely move it or touch it, the gets shuts off. But as long as I hold the key (not all the way forward in the start position, but in the rest position) after i start it, it stays on fine.

Like for example, after i turn the key and start the car, if i move the key back to the rest position myself, until i feel the click of where it should be, then the car stays running fine. But when I let go of the key, I can see the key continue to move back a bit past the normal position and then the engine shuts off. That's why i was thinking it probably has something to do with the electrical portion of the ignition switch.
 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
dave AKA vwdoc1

External


Since: Nov 26, 2006
Posts: 726



(Msg. 6) Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:41 am
Post subject: Re: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

It sounds like you have found a problem!

Correct it with an OEM ign switch, or one from the dealer.
I have had a couple of aftermarket switches go bad as early as 1 week and I
am too lazy to always have to replace them. I even rebuilt my original and
it lasted a good 6 months which was longer than the aftermarket ones. Now I
have one purchased from the dealer installed in my '91 Passat. 8^)

Two things for you to consider:
1. Proper removal and installation of airbag
2. Removal of steering wheel collar with a puller

A tech told me that he can do it from the backside without removing the
wheel and turn signal switch. 8^o
I have not tried this method!

BTW Leave the Bosch Plats in there until you need to change them. Wink
--
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"onyx" wrote in message

> "dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote:
>>Check out the spark and make sure it is a GOOD spark, not just a
> spark
>>but a
>>GOOD spark. Or after it stalls and won't
>>restart..............pull a spark
>>plug to see if it is wet and black.
>>I have changed sooooo many bad ign. coils in the Jetta 2.0s.
>>DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET IGN. COILS, only get them from the dealer.
> You
>>pay
>>more but they don't conk out after 1 week to 1 year. I have
>>never seen an
>>aftermarket ign. coil go past 1 year. Sad
>>
>>Of course it could be something else.
>>Did you get the Engine Check light?
>>
>>Oh and when you find the problem you might want to install the
> correct
>>spark
>>plugs or at least check them to make sure they are the right ones. I
>>just
>>removed some Bosch Plats that were creating misfires and running
>>issues on a
>>'97 Jetta 2.0.
>
> The check engine light isn't on, nor does it come on when it dies.
> When I got my tune-up, they did but in the Bosch Plats. They've been
> in not even a month. Should I replace them?
>
> The reason I was thinking it was the ignition switch, is because when
> I start the car, if I hold the key forward a little bit, it will stay
> on, but when the key goes to the rest position, it shuts off. And when
> i finally can get it started and let go of the key, if I barely move
> it or touch it, the gets shuts off. But as long as I hold the key (not
> all the way forward in the start position, but in the rest position)
> after i start it, it stays on fine.
>
> Like for example, after i turn the key and start the car, if i move
> the key back to the rest position myself, until i feel the click of
> where it should be, then the car stays running fine. But when I let go
> of the key, I can see the key continue to move back a bit past the
> normal position and then the engine shuts off. That's why i was
> thinking it probably has something to do with the electrical portion
> of the ignition switch.
 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
samstone

External


Since: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 352



(Msg. 7) Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:06 pm
Post subject: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 04:31:02 GMT, onyx wrote:

>The reason I was thinking it was the ignition switch, is because when
>I start the car, if I hold the key forward a little bit, it will stay
>on, but when the key goes to the rest position, it shuts off. And when
>i finally can get it started and let go of the key, if I barely move
>it or touch it, the gets shuts off. But as long as I hold the key (not
>all the way forward in the start position, but in the rest position)
>after i start it, it stays on fine.
>
http://www.performance-cafe.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_159&products_id=904
the above url : switch $20.00
the below url : replacemant procedure -- read it thru - ( skill level? - air bag ?tools?)
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1a/bl284a.htm
or call the dealer and get a 'quote' for them to do it,,
ask for their labor time / part cost / tax
 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
starburst

External


Since: Aug 19, 2005
Posts: 37



(Msg. 8) Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:47 pm
Post subject: Re: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

onyx wrote:

> The reason I was thinking it was the ignition switch, is because when
> I start the car, if I hold the key forward a little bit, it will stay
> on, but when the key goes to the rest position, it shuts off. And when
> i finally can get it started and let go of the key, if I barely move
> it or touch it, the gets shuts off. But as long as I hold the key (not
> all the way forward in the start position, but in the rest position)
> after i start it, it stays on fine.
>
> Like for example, after i turn the key and start the car, if i move
> the key back to the rest position myself, until i feel the click of
> where it should be, then the car stays running fine. But when I let go
> of the key, I can see the key continue to move back a bit past the
> normal position and then the engine shuts off. Thatís why i was
> thinking it probably has something to do with the electrical portion
> of the ignition switch.
>

Check for recalls on this. I know there were some recalls on VW ignition
switches in 97. Best - Chris
 >> Stay informed about: 97 Jetta GL dies right after starting, and while driving 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
98 Jetta TDI Starting Problem - After fixing the horn on my manual 98 Jetta (it was the relay), now it won't crank over. Starter switch tests fine, and starter solenoid works, but the 12V signal is getting interrupted somewhere in between. I jumpered out the clutch switch, still..

winter driving - I have a 2004 passat it is not good in the snow do you have the same problem if so what did you do.

Car slowed down while driving and then stopped - I have a 2001 1.8 Golf GTI. I was out driving it and all of a sudden the car started to slow down. I kept accelarating and the car still would not move. I looked at the fuel gauge and its showed 0. However only 10 mins before that i had half a tank of..

getting a jetta TDI questions - hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right newsgroup but after doing a search I didn't find many so if I'm in the wrong group could you please point me to the correct one? ok, I have a 2001 maxima SE right now and with gas prices being the way they are and....

2000 Jetta TDI no start - Wife was driving on highway and noticed that car seemed to lacking power ie would not go over 100kph, about 5km later the engine stopped. I was right behind so tried to restart but battery did not have enough power to crank over engine. Charged up..
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Volkswagen All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]